Keybinds for coop inventory
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

destination Unreal -> UT99 Coop

#1: No icon Keybinds for coop inventory Author: rork PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:15 pm
    —
In coop rather then MH you can select and (de)activate items like the translator and the flashlight.

To do this you can make the following keybinds:
ActivateItem
NextItem
PrevItem

You can also command the nali / mercenaries you control
To make them follow you (alternative: speech menu > follow me)
Speech 2 1 0

To make them defend a place (alternative speech menu > hold this position)
Speech 2 3 0

Options to add them:
- directly in the user.ini
- set input <key> <command>
- Options > OldSkool configuration (you'll probably have to install
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
for this)

You can scroll in the translator to see older messages.

Last edited by rork on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: No icon Re: Keybinds for coop inventory Author: HellFireLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:20 pm
    —
i always use in-game commands like ''set input <key> inventoryactivate'' etc.
not sure ''activateitem'' etc, works too.

#3: No icon Re: Keybinds for coop inventory Author: rork PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:21 pm
    —
There are a couple of aliases in my user.ini, they might be absent that's why I used the orignal commands:

Aliases[12]=(Command="ActivateItem",Alias=InventoryActivate)
Aliases[13]=(Command="NextItem",Alias=InventoryNext)
Aliases[14]=(Command="PrevItem",Alias=InventoryPrevious)

#4: No icon Re: Keybinds for coop inventory Author: gopostal PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:18 pm
    —
The item use system is what really hurts coop play. I dealt with part of it by making the translator automatic. Translator events are marked by a small, slowly spinning exclamation point. All you have to do is pass near it and the translator auto pops-up on your screen, move away and it auto drops. I made it smaller and see-through too so it doesn't dominate your screen.

The inventory system needs addressed though. In my eyes its better to auto stuff and add reload and rehealth rather than have players trying to scroll through inventory to drop nali seeds. Flashlights can be replaced with the automatic personal light code, scuba should be auto, and flares are stupid anyway. Today's UT players expect a certain level of fun and they are not going to grind out a really tough coop level by themselves without regen and free ammo. They will just leave, which is a shame. Your basic coop level is simply gorgeous and most UT players don't know what they are missing.

#5: No icon Re: Keybinds for coop inventory Author: rork PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:03 pm
    —
Added the keybinds to control the nali / mercenary buddies.

gopostal wrote (View Post):
The item use system is what really hurts coop play. I dealt with part of it by making the translator automatic. Translator events are marked by a small, slowly spinning exclamation point. All you have to do is pass near it and the translator auto pops-up on your screen, move away and it auto drops. I made it smaller and see-through too so it doesn't dominate your screen.

That is how it works on my install, I think this was addressed in the later versions of OldSkool

gopostal wrote (View Post):
The inventory system needs addressed though. In my eyes its better to auto stuff and add reload and rehealth rather than have players trying to scroll through inventory to drop nali seeds. Flashlights can be replaced with the automatic personal light code, scuba should be auto, and flares are stupid anyway. Today's UT players expect a certain level of fun and they are not going to grind out a really tough coop level by themselves without regen and free ammo. They will just leave, which is a shame. Your basic coop level is simply gorgeous and most UT players don't know what they are missing.

In my eyes it's more fun to look for health/ammo if needed and growing health is just awesome. Lack of ammo makes you use other weapons (although I must admit a true lack of ammo is nasty). You make the 'ideal' coop sound like what monsterhunt is today. IMHO keep coop separate from that.

#6: No icon Re: Keybinds for coop inventory Author: gopostal PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:31 am
    —
Don't get me wrong Rork, I couldn't agree more. I'm just telling you from firsthand experience that making it "tough" is the kiss of death for getting players to use it. Back in the day we played tough because we didn't know better, now players are already used to MH and weaning them off is just not gonna happen.
Even if you discard the pure play value of the maps and even enable god mode, there is hours and hours of exploration to be had in the coop mapsets. They are just exceptionally gorgeous, I wish more people would do a little "U"rban spelunking in them  Embarassed

destination Unreal -> UT99 Coop

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1