MH-MayanInvasion
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

destination Unreal -> New Mapping Projects

#1: No icon MH-MayanInvasion Author: HellFireLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:39 pm
    —
Yes, it's me.
This has been an unfinished project for probably 1 year and cosidering I have a few days off I decided to work on it.
It's going to be (as the name describes) an Invasion map so much like the ''Defending Mars'' map.
I'll have a beta done soon so brace yourselves!
Some screenies:

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

#2: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: Terraniux PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:58 pm
    —
Nice! Always good to know that some mappers are still active in the UED business. Screenshots look a bit too dark for me, or is that the intenion? What size is it going to be?
If you need help with something, let me know! First impressions are good!

#3: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: HellFireLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:11 pm
    —
Screenshots are darker than when I was in game (it's recommended to have your UT brightness at +1 from standard though) or more.

#4: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: EvilGrinsLocation: Palo Alto, CA PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:39 pm
    —
I like it.

#5: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: HellFireLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:19 pm
    —
Here is the first playable BETA of the map.
It has a million triggers, counters etc so it might not work that's why I hope BlackWolf will upload this version to the mapping because it's a bit too hard and takes too long to complete alone.
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

#6: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: HookLocation: Minnesota USA PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:58 pm
    —
Looks Excellent! Very Happy1  
Yeah, I usually correct in-game screen shot photos a bit.
Yes, good to see mappers still pumping out great ones!

#7: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: medor PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:34 pm
    —
MH-MayanInvasionBETA3.unr': Can't find file for package 'JumpSound'

#8: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: HellFireLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:24 pm
    —
Thought it was a pretty common file but apparently not lol.
Get registered or Log in

#9: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: medor PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:48 am
    —
It's full now  Cool

#10: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: BlackWolfLocation: Berlin PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:05 pm
    —
Now on mapping Server

#11: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: EvilGrinsLocation: Palo Alto, CA PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:40 pm
    —
My thoughts ·
Get registered or Log in

#12: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: HellFireLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:45 pm
    —
EvilGrins wrote (View Post):
My thoughts ·
Get registered or Log in

Ty for the comprehensive summary there.
Most of these things I knew and I'll improve most of them if not all of them, I'm just a bit uncertain on how to balance the monsters for the main server. I suppose the best way to do it will be make the monsters spawn fast and make multiple monsters come out of the same spawn so it's not only one monster everytime.
I'll try to make some time to fire UED up again and I'll work on the things you mentioned and a couple of other fixes.
Main priority is monsters now the rest comes later.

#13: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: EvilGrinsLocation: Palo Alto, CA PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:52 am
    —
HellFire wrote (View Post):
so it's not only one monster everytime.

May be a slight miscommunication on my part there. Multiple monsters were coming out when I played it, it isn't just 1 at a time. So, as far as that goes, you're already golden.

Out of curiosity, as I posted a link to my review to ut99.org and that prompted questions, where did you get the plants for your map?

Some more here ·
Get registered or Log in

#14: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: HellFireLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:03 pm
    —
Apparently this fuckface ''sektor2111'' is quite full of himself with all his complaining.
Maybe I shouldn't have named beta, since I know it's far from done it was just a name so the final version doesn't need to have V or BETA in it but whatever.

ANYHOW, I meant that if one monster moves from a spawnpoint a second immediately comes out and not as in there's multiple monsters around the map. Miscommunication I guess lol.

As you downloaded the map you also have the plants, they're in a package included in the rar.

#15: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: Terraniux PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:19 pm
    —
I just downloaded it, tonight I'll post my thoughts about it.

#16: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: Terraniux PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:49 pm
    —
My review

Certainly an interesting map. I don't think we have such gameplay with incoming waves with monsters yet, as presented in this map.
We could use that. But I'm not sure for how many players the map is going to be. I'd say make it at least 12+ players. Nothing obnoxious, just plenty of monsters to be surprised at. At least 10 rounds or something fitting.

[Gameplay]
In order to make this map more meaningful I think you should you should add way more monsters, in different varieties. Monsters are now easily predictable, and can be farmed.
For example: Stand on the very top,  let's say you have a  couple of players near you, someone can fire away at the mantas, the other guys make a rain of flak slugs/bombs, without using any redeemer.
I've been playing the map over 20minutes and been wondering around when the next wave started, also the monsters aren't very close to the temple and be there like sitting ducks. Maybe you did this on purpose since this is a beta, just to test properly.
Walked around the temple 15 times, crossing the temple corridors also much in order to search them. And that is the thing that should should different in a next version. Otherwise we would invade them, they not us Wink

Minor bug(s)
- The jump pads aren't reachable from every side, if you could lower them by 32 or 64 uu, that would be better.
- Missing MedBoxes spreaded around, the health vials will be consumed as beers by player/bots in the temple. It leaves you very vulnerable in the open field. Since you got ammo placed at the campfire, place some health there as well.

[Looks]
Very pretty! Also I really liked the architecture and the skybox view.  Loving the plants and vegetation. Though I think the surplus of the vegetaion should be lower to the ground, such as a jungle.
Grass around 32 uu, plants 32 to 128 and trees higher than 128uu
Some parts are way too dark in my pov, and could use some more lighting / or some adjustments. On one side this actually the idea of being invaded, using night settings, on the other hand making the map little bit brighter will make more people happy I think. But that is up to you. Lighting is good, but could be better. Same situation as in my CM4, comparing the old and new.
I have some spectacular ideas in mind for you, that would make this map shine like a pearl. If you are interested I will post that later, other wise this post is getting too long haha.

[Music and Sounds]
Since this is a testing version, I will leave this up to your own choice. If there are more waves coming, and the heat is turning up, people like to hear something that fires them up. Like you did in SevenTests. Different music on different rounds.

[Summary]

Map is a bit confusing to me, but this map will hit the right spot when it is completely finished.
All it needs is a bit more action, clarity of views and more acts of randomness.

Pro's  Twisted Evil
+ Looks
+ Unique idea of MH map (at least dU main server)
+ Architecture
+ Can hold many players
+ Lots of potential dangerous monsters to aim at.

Cons  Confused
- Obvious monster setup
- Intervals of monster should be lower
- Variety of monsters
- Hasn't got a safe spot to regenerate health
- Hasn't got the feeling of being invaded.

- screenshots will be added later!

I hope I gave you enough constructive commentary Hellfire!
Looking good, keep going!  Wink

Terraniux

Very Happy1

#17: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: EvilGrinsLocation: Palo Alto, CA PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:38 pm
    —
Apparently this {CENSORED} ''sektor2111'' is quite full of himself with all his complaining.

Don't get down on sector/Nelsona. He's a guy to have at your back for ALL UT projects, he's a freaking genius at the setups of pretty much everything related to, and also for what it's worth he may come across as highly critical but for stuff he truly doesn't like he doesn't pay it much attention.

He's actively reviewing your map and trying to find ways to make it better. Does the same kinda stuff to everybody, it's just how he is. If he didn't think your map was worthwhile he wouldn't've said anything.

#18: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: Terraniux PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:41 pm
    —
EvilGrins wrote (View Post):
Apparently this {CENSORED} ''sektor2111'' is quite full of himself with all his complaining.

Don't get down on sector/Nelsona. He's a guy to have at your back for ALL UT projects, he's a freaking genius at the setups of pretty much everything related to, and also for what it's worth he may come across as highly critical but for stuff he truly doesn't like he doesn't pay it much attention.

He's actively reviewing your map and trying to find ways to make it better. Does the same kinda stuff to everybody, it's just how he is. If he didn't think your map was worthwhile he wouldn't've said anything.

I second that. He gave me some really good advice during the development of my projects in the past. He is a good guy. It is often hard to tell what he is actually saying, but his intentions are friendly.

Read this topic, then you may understand a little bit more how he works.
Get registered or Log in

If we don't make mistakes, we will never learn :Zwinker:.
He is a guy we should learn from.

#19: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: HellFireLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:30 pm
    —
Ty for the time to write reviews.
The main thing I need to improve as everyone also noticed is certainly the ''invasion'' part.
I could definitely use some help on that part since I have less experience with triggers apart from some simplistic combo's. So if anyone is good at those, I can always use some help on that.

#20: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: GExLocation: Kaunas PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:31 am
    —
Gonna try it out too, really interested how it would play out :Zwinker:

#21: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: EvilGrinsLocation: Palo Alto, CA PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:06 pm
    —
sec/Nel has more to say on Herm's forum ·
Get registered or Log in

#22: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: Terraniux PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:02 pm
    —
@ Hellfire - about the "invasion part"

This topic may help:
Re: How to make monsters Patrol?
Get registered or Log in

Since I am moving to new home next week, I am quite busy next 2 months. After the moving is successful I may have the time to help you with things you like. But not the A.I part itself I am afraid. Maybe if you still got your account at Hermskii's you can ask the expert himself for help.

In the meantime I also suggest you could get your question(s) answered about scripted pawns at UnrealSP.org. Monsters and SP maps are like their daily work, and questions are always respectively treated.

#23: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: Terraniux PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:50 pm
    —
Moving is done, sitting now relaxed in a brand new home. It is sooo quiet here, the one thing I was particularly was moving for.
----

Any update on this? How is the project doing Hellfire?

#24: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: EvilGrinsLocation: Palo Alto, CA PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:30 am
    —
Any further updates on this?

#25: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: BlackWolfLocation: Berlin PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:38 pm
    —
*push*

Any new Updates? Map looks so nice....

Wolfi

#26: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: EvilGrinsLocation: Palo Alto, CA PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:49 am
    —
*poke*

Is this thing still on?

#27: No icon Re: MH-MayanInvasion Author: EvilGrinsLocation: Palo Alto, CA PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:57 am
    —
Checking again, was this map ever finished?

If not, can I finish it for you?

destination Unreal -> New Mapping Projects

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1