Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm

MH-(dU)CoruscantCity
Goto page Previous  1, 2
destination Unreal Forum Index New Mapping Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:28 am
PostPost subject:No icon Re: Working again

Alright so, compliments first, I think the map is fun to play and nicely balanced.
I like the idea of jumping between buildings by dangerous paths. It looks like you went the wrong way and missed the correct easy path, before realizing the dangerous path is the only one. Razz
The brush ships are really well made, and the squid projectile is funny.
The deemer secret is nice, but I was hoping to find more. I jumped in some more hidden places but found nothing. Smile

I did play all 3 versions, and the problems I noticed aren't really solved:

- Monsters don't always die after falling from buildings. If you have trouble to fix that I can help.
Also the death line should be placed higher so that players can't fall on a lower building with boots and survive. Same for monsters.

- Map ends for me with 502 monsters not spawned.

- Some monsters around the starting point of the map can become invisible online because of brushes hiding them, particularly the skaarjs:
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

The best way to fix this is to recreate the obstacle brush as a Mover (except it doesn't need to move), as Movers are see-through online.

- The crates added to hide the troopers don't really stop them from being triggered and sniped.
The only way to prevent them from being killed too early is to spawn them later like MH-ShootingGuys does.

Now for less problematic things that you may want to improve Wink  :

- Doors and lifts in the map crush the player. Not sure if the exit ship still does.
It's less frustrating for players if Movers are set to IgnoreWhenEncroach. Laughing

- Intro text says "Blue Orale" instead of "Blue Oracle".

- You may want to change Blue Text Messages to Green (MH messages). They last longer on screen so players have more time to read them.

- Some brutes with default projectile will shoot bio with dUMH and be useless from distance.

- Why didn't you reuse more Star Wars monsters from your previous maps like the Droids?

And finally, I was surprised and sad not to hear Star Wars music in the map. I think it's the most important part of the atmosphere to make the map feel like you're in Star Wars. Star Wars music please! Very Happy1
Back to top Visit poster's website
THUNDERBOLT argentina.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: THUNDERBOLT UT Since: 1997 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:52 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: MH-(dU)CoruscantCity

Well first, just say that the only version that interests me is the last one.
The secrets in the maps are to discover them not to reveal them, the map only has one way and 220 monster so no secret areas are necessary, since in the secret zone I only put redeemers and a boom would end with a great amount of monsters, also, tends to be a sniper map, so the map will end faster than an open map.
I could notice the exceeded amount of monsters also when I entered the mapping server, and discovered that it was due to a factory of monsters that was not even active or configured (fixed matter)
I want to clarify that the tests are carried out offline many times (ammunition and limited health), and that the online test only performed when they upload the map. (At no time do I wait for the comments of other players, since being the one who made the map, I am directly responsible for looking for their mistakes) I appreciate every comment, but I do not depend on them.
The problem of the monsters that disappear after a brush is exclusively online, this does not happen offline, so I'm not going to worry much.
MH players do not appreciate an adventure map or missions, they only look for maps with many monsters and many births of them, just for the score. I rely heavily on the game mode of the Unreal 1, so I totally scorn maps like ShottingGuys Razz
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: 100002176571470 MySpace Profile: https://www.facebook.com/THUNDERBOLTMAPPER
Karlthegreat luxembourg.png

UT Name: Karlthegreat UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:43 pm

THUNDERBOLT wrote (View Post):
Well first, just say that the only version that interests me is the last one.

At that moment it was the current version on server. Moot point on your side, we can't comment on what haven't seen yet.

(At no time do I wait for the comments of other players, since being the one who made the map, I am directly responsible for looking for their mistakes) I appreciate every comment, but I do not depend on them.

Then you should act like you do appreciate it. Sticking out your tongue, even if via a smiley is just an unnecessary kick in the nuts, let alone talking about being in the loser team. Say thanks, or ignore it, but don't be rude just to show you don't want to consider a comment..  Sad

The problem of the monsters that disappear after a brush is exclusively online, this does not happen offline, so I'm not going to worry much.

Sure, but your map will be played thousands of times on servers, much less so in an offline environment.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:29 am

Diplomacy, gentlemen. weapon_ripper

TB you're aware that dU has a test/mapping server because maps play differently offline and online, even more so if the server has specific mutators like dUMH.
It's great that you look for errors yourself offline (and not everyone does it so thank you cheers), but you also need online testing if you want dU players to enjoy and keep voting the maps you make. If not, what's the point of the (dU) prefix in the maps' names then? Razz

And so I uploaded Test4 on the mapping server, and surprise, there's a huge framedrop issue in this version (it's unplayable) because of the interaction between dUMH and actors with astronomical collisions (
Get registered or Log in
).

Indeed, it's dU's fault, and I hope it can be fixed later.
But it's also bad mapping manners, and fortunately there are better methods.

Like in Test3, the Trigger and SpecialEvent aren't needed. Just replace the VacuumZone with a CloudZone (default collisions), rebuild all, and it should be ok.
CloudZones are better than VacuumZones because they kill the victim instead of doing damage.
Also put the ZonePortal higher so players and monsters die before they can see below the buildings. Razz
kokok blank.png

UT Name: moobs

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:23 pm

some masked textures do not work (e.g. starships with black backround):

[img]http://www.destinationunreal.com/modules/Image_Repository/files/10139/undefined[/img]

girl is too bright, needs more girls:

[img]http://www.destinationunreal.com/modules/Image_Repository/files/10139/undefined[/img]

(again bad masking on or its only me?)

Moo,

cow

links:
Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in

Last edited by kokok on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
BlackWolf germany.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: dU.BlackWolf UT Since: 1999
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:13 pm

@kokok, i have the masked problem,too.
btw.. your picture links are wrong  Cool

Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:53 pm

Well texture fixed, and vaccun zone too , but i need to test again Razz
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: 100002176571470 MySpace Profile: https://www.facebook.com/THUNDERBOLTMAPPER
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:32 am

It's up. Not played yet but it seems to run fine. Wink

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 pm

online test number 5, I am satisfied with the result. Smile , tested the falls in differents areas (with and without health and boots) work very well, and  mercenarie fall and die. So i finished with this map cucko  need coffee
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Sponsor
-POTS- italy.png

UT Name: *POTS* UT Since: 2002 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:30 pm

For those who are still experiencing masked textures problems (i.e. solid pitch black background instead of transparent for some textures), if you're using the high resolution S3TC textures, I strongly recommend opening your system console, type "preferences", then under the Rendering section set the "UseS3TCTextures" entry to False, then go to your UT installation folder and swap the Textures folder with the "CD 1" original textures.

I don't know what causes this, but having the high res textures support enabled on newer renderers messes up with some masked textures

For more detailed info read also
Arrow
Get registered or Log in

Arrow
Get registered or Log in

Arrow
Get registered or Log in

Thanks to Dem for the heads-up

Plain Old Telephone Service
kokok blank.png

UT Name: moobs

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:25 am

TY POTS.
(I would keep my S3TC, any ideas for working renderers, prefs, or suggestions for mappers?)
-POTS- italy.png

UT Name: *POTS* UT Since: 2002 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:53 pm

1) AFAIK this bug affects both new d3d and opengl renderers (haven't tested it with d3d10 though)
2) I tried messing with the precache, high detail actors and masked texture hack settings but none of those worked.
3) If you wanna stick with S3TC support you should ask the mapper to add an Alpha channel to the textures and force them being masked all the time, provided it would work.

Check
Get registered or Log in

Quote:
MaskedTextureHack - [True/False]
Enabling this option can prevent rendering problems with masked textures when the same texture is applied to different polygons that do not have the masked attribute set consistently across all of them. Likely examples of masked texture problems are rendering errors with solid colored boxes around railings and trees that can often times be fixed with the flush command. There is some risk to using this option, which is why it's called a hack option. It's likely to be very safe, but not completely safe. Implementing it the completely safe way is a lot of extra work, so it uses the simple solution. If it does happen to fail, there will be some completely incorrect textures on some objects.

and also  
Get registered or Log in
and in particular:
Quote:
This release contains a fix for the annoying black squares that people sometimes encountered. Like the skyboxes i forced the planetsmoons to be masked at all time by adding an Alpha channel to the textures. Theoretically if the texture is being used as last texture in a skybox it could punch a hole to the universe and create a monster of a HOM. But i never heard this happen with the skybox textures, while they really pose a risk on that. Since it was succesfull on those textures, than its unlikelly this will happen on these. I doubt a mapper ever will add them as last texture in a skybox.

TBH I'd just give up on the S3TC textures, way too many problems they cause.

Plain Old Telephone Service
Sponsor
EvilGrins usa.png

UT Name: Doppleganger UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:06 am

All the download links appear to not be working.

Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:19 am

Last link given on
Get registered or Log in
works for me