Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm

Reliving the past- about dU

destination Unreal Forum Index General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:19 am
PostPost subject:No icon Reliving the past- about dU

The server and forums have been quiet now for quite some time.

This place used to thriving and populated. Not all times.... but there im sure ppl miss those times when it WAS.

So let me break the ice....

I''m still here.....

How are you.... ?

What do we need to do to make this more lively?

Any comment would help, any simple hello will do!

(If this is not getting any comments im gonna persuade you with screenshots and videos that will trigger some memories Razz Razz Razz)

Regards Terraniux
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
Karlthegreat luxembourg.png

UT Name: Karlthegreat UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:46 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: Reliving the past- about dU

Some veterans still play (I've never seen you play, which times do you play?), but there's massive structural issues:

1. There are no admins anymore, at least they are inactive.
2. Due to lack of maintenance, some servers have been down for almost or longer than a year, which includes the test server. Maps on the test server (including my only one and some of yours) are thus stuck in dev limbo forever.
3. Other servers get new maps on a regular basis, but due to 1. and 2. this is not the case here.
4. Due to a lack of new maps, old players are less motivated.
5. Attracting new Kyles is hard, all the hyperactive smartphone folks have no patience and 1 or 2 deaths are already leading them to quit again. If you have less kyles, you get less veterans and thus less people who carry the kyles or can at least kill a pupae that would otherwise kill the kyle on sight.
6. There's also a lack of moderation, only EW is still around and can't be on 24/7 after all, thus giving lots of free space to certain people.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:11 pm

Good points, thanks for sharing your input.

I mostly play evenings in weekends but after an hour of playing alone its not worth it....

I hope more people will respond to this topic. Let's wait.....
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
Shado switzerland.png

UT Name: Letylove49 UT Since: 2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:12 pm

The main reaason  why i don't stay for hours is when the server is  empty or boring maps.
i disklike when the monster is  too powerfull when i play allone that take too many time to end a maps  in this c
condition.

IIn the next month i will  play only on the week-end because i want to spand me time for someting  important for my futur.

but if  i see  people on your server and MHA is empty   i will come with plesure.

Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Zipps sweden.png

UT Name: -=]UM[=-Zipps UT Since: 2003 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:02 pm

At
Get registered or Log in
we experience the same thing even tho we have 1058 maps and latest update, I believe the game is slowly dying  over all and the ones with top quality and care about the players needs will stand left..

Get registered or Log in

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unrealmayhem
killkio chile.png

UT Name: dU.killkio UT Since: 2005 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:50 pm

sometimes play in server, but we have a different hour and the work and others things I don't have the time babble  babble
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:19 am

BUMP
BangBang blank.png

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:36 pm

Hiho  Smile
As much as it saddens me, there seems to be no way of changing how the things are now. There is of course the issue (already brought up) of lack of interest in the server from the admins. I am sure they have their reasons but that doesn't change that the server feels abandoned by them. However, truth be told UT has been dying for last few years and so has dU. Players have changed, gaming world too. I imagine many of us (UT/dU enjoyers) have either other current priorities in our lives or simply moved on... to greener pastures. Nowadays there are just too many good alternatives.
That being said, I must admit I have some fond memories of time spent here, having fun with people. I miss some of you guys and wish you all the best  Very Happy1
Ninja-Duckie uk.png

UT Name: dU.Ninja-Duckie UT Since: 2003 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:55 pm

I loved this server, and community.

I loved it when it was |BAH| - Buculae Admirandi Honoris - the first gaming clan I was a part of; even if I didn't wear the full clan colours in combat, I was there. Catze (MagicCat) invited me to tag along. Still have her email address, although it's defunct now.

BAH was my first real online community. Even though it's gone, and almost all the users who kept in touch faded or drifted away, that memory can never be taken away from me. I will never forget BAH.

.dU was a bit rockier. Some people in .dU didn't like me, presumably because of my age. But I stuck with it for a time. I had some fun. The site's banner - I made that in Photoshop years and years ago.

I simply don't have the time for UT online any more. The old days were fun, but sometimes that's where they should stay, in the old days, as good memories.
Sponsor
war denmark.png

UT Name: war UT Since: 2004 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:27 pm

Ninja-Duckie wrote (View Post):
I loved this server, and community.

I loved it when it was |BAH| - Buculae Admirandi Honoris - the first gaming clan I was a part of; even if I didn't wear the full clan colours in combat, I was there. Catze (MagicCat) invited me to tag along. Still have her email address, although it's defunct now.

BAH was my first real online community. Even though it's gone, and almost all the users who kept in touch faded or drifted away, that memory can never be taken away from me. I will never forget BAH.

.dU was a bit rockier. Some people in .dU didn't like me, presumably because of my age. But I stuck with it for a time. I had some fun. The site's banner - I made that in Photoshop years and years ago.

I simply don't have the time for UT online any more. The old days were fun, but sometimes that's where they should stay, in the old days, as good memories.

I remember the scanlines being a popular design choice for gaming websites in around 2006. Photoshop CS2 tutorials was everywhere. Nice throwback, reading your comment  :thumb: Lets hope the server and site stays up for ever. Its a nice throwback seeing these old forums stil up and running.

I still check in from time to time on the server. Its a shame its not maintained on gametracker and country flags are stil broken for over 2 years.

The mismanagement, learning curve and angry rigid people scared fun good players and newbies away. As Piro would say: UT all have fun

Have fun and try to understand people have different skills and understanding of the game. It will go a long way for a welcoming and fun server  Cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:31 pm

BUMP
Karlthegreat luxembourg.png

UT Name: Karlthegreat UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:38 pm

war wrote (View Post):
As Piro would say: UT all have fun

I guess that for the two of you waiting at the boss portal while others are in another room dealing with smaller monsters is also a definition of "fun". :D

Also the quote was "have fun UT". Not sure he knows what that means, though. Very Happy1
Sponsor
Crow canada.png

UT Name: Crow UT Since: 2002 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:34 pm

Well, the explanation is simple. We witness a classic case of a project that's been abandoned by its creators.
It seems Wolf just runs it in zombie mode for years now, as in just keeping it (the game server and the forums) online but with no active maintenance, moderation etc'.
If there were updates like maps, mods and etc', then MAYBE we can draw a little more interest to what was once a thriving community.
I still play, bot on Barbie's server which is no great alternative either, the owner there is also messed up and has issues moderating the place socially
(I suspect barbie seriously lacks social skills to be able to make reasonable decisions re moderating people, like dealing with troublemakers, admin nomination, and
listening to input from players etc', I mean the dumbass now disables score there a few times a week because it thinks that competition is bad... well our nature is to compete).

Anyway... if only someone took a more active care of this place, then it could stand a chance. if it'll keep going at the pace it does, I am anticipating this community to go offline forever one day soon.
And too bad I gotta say, I've met a bunch of cool people here including my sweet Mousy with whom I'm in a serious relationship now.

destination Unreal Forum Index   General Discussion
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: